Sunday, February 12, 2012

Surprise

After failing my agility last weekend, I was pretty down on myself. There I sat at the Medical Examiner the Friday after my agility. I was somewhat following the conversation of a group of friends online (Spartan girls). There was another Super Spartan being run in Phoenix that weekend and they were driving out to go run. They had been set up to volunteer and were getting free races out of it.

At some point, I got involved in the conversation. Before I really had time to rationally think about it, I had agreed to go. We met up in Blythe late Friday night and got to Phoenix at 3:30am. We were on the race course to volunteer by 7:30. The weather was hot and dry and we stood in the heat as volunteers on the course from 7:30 to 1:30. Then we had an hour to hydrate and get ready to race. We ran from 2:30 to 5. After quick showers, we ate and went to bed. We were on the road home by 5:30 the next morning. We spent a grand total of 26 hours in Phoenix.

It was a whirlwind weekend but it was simply amazing. The course was completely flat compared to Temecula and very, very wet. The obstacles were all different from the previous race, which kept me on my toes. 5 miles into the race I hit the six foot wall. Made it over with ease. Six miles in, there was an eight foot wall. That one I needed a boost for. I cut an hour off my Temecula time thanks to the flat course. Once again, I was in it to finish. Having the So Cal race under my belt made this run much more enjoyable as I felt more comfortable with what I could expect. I was not fully recovered from Temecula going in and I was not feeling 100%. But I finished my race and I gave everything I had. In the end, it was one of the most amazing experiences and I met and made friends with an amazing group of girls in the process. I'm looking forward to many more races with my "chicks."

No comments:

Post a Comment